Feel Better:Complain About Anything, page-31822

1. 18,127 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 168
    @big e @NoBoDe @picastoc @Margaret63 @bunbun @Zero2a$mill
    @makingmoneystill @zipperlip@ @Parsifal @mogga @pintohoo @Chuck

and all the new ones I thought this letter from my former home country (I feel and think very 'Aussie' btw) would be interesting, seeing we are just a step behind in some of these measures this letter arrived yesterday upon my inquiry how he was dealing with the Co19 crisis - he is an old friend, bachelor, lives in a very modern but tiny apartment vis-a-vis the 'Stephansdom' in Vienna and loves his culture, is always up and about, has his favourite eating place, where the waiter already knows

I read your mail with great interest. We rarely get information of what’s going on in your part of the world – probably the same story over there.

Since last Tuesday I know, that I better not commit amajor crime – single incarceration is impossible to bear.

Firstly a small anecdote: - yesterday an elderly ladysat down to another woman in the same age group – no sooner done than the police appeared and drove them apart. (what about our personal freedom?) Of course, I too, do not wish to infect anyone – to carry such guilt would be a lifelong burden on me. Testing is fairly limited and only used in emergencies, so one has no idea about one’s own health status. Thus many virus carriers remain undiscovered.

Well, so far, we are still allowed to go shopping,which gives me an opportunity to take a short walk, so before breakfast I getthe morning newspaper. Thereafter I manage to go out again in order to go to ‘Meinl’ (a grocery chain), where I can get a freshly cooked lunch, and I carefully choose something delicious. Thereafter I return home, where I have to endure in 37 m2 until the next morning, though I have found I can keep myself occupied. This state of affairs will – supposedly – only continue until at least the 13th April.

It’s lucky that my TV still works. Yesterday I watched the ‘Fidelio’ (in the version from 1806) at the Theater/Wien – a grand evening. Directed by ‘Our’ Oscar winner, Christoph Waltz, Manfred Honeck conducting with great sensibility (indescribably beautiful Ouverture) and the singers, on the whole unknowns, good artists and moving within a stage backdrop of a double helix. Today they are showing Andre Heller’s ‘Rosenkavalier’, Berlin and tomorrow ‘Rienzi’, one hardly ever hears/sees in Vienna, also from Berlin – thanks to Barenboim. On Monday there is a film about the saltworks in Altaussee at the end of WWII.

I have cleaned my windows and now we are supposed toget winter, including snow, frost and storms. So more window cleaning coming up? I am sure I’ll occupy myself until April with cleaning out my wardrobes, sorting the clothes etc.

As you can guess, all pubs, restaurants, shops areclosed and every cultural activity in front of a public is forbidden, whichputs more pressure on the average artist, who is already struggling to make aliving. Right now I am getting my daily alcohol-free beer delivered by an actor who has already played in minor roles at the Burgtheater. One delivery costs Euro20 – you can imagine what a celebratory evening I can manage on that!

The possibility of language via tele-teaching is analternative for me, but I haven’t found anyone yet. Just donating my services without getting something back does not appeal. (I don’t know what that is all about, but myfriend is/was an English teacher/translator).

My investments are slowly melting away – I shouldprobably take the money out and simply put it in the bank where they don’t payinterest.

The government is managing the crisis quite well. We have relatively few infections (mostly in the Tyrol, because they continued ‘celebrating’ right to the end – sounds like a story from the Middle Ages). The Zero-Budget plan has been shelved and the government will go into 5% deficit and avoid mass joblessness and poverty that way – sounds o.k. to me.

It looks like when the crisis is over, things willcontinue in a positive way and normality will resume quickly. The lock-in law has been extended to the 13th April and it seems ‘culture’ will resume its normal life from May. I am looking forward to normal businesses opening again (at the moment grocery stores, chemists are open).

Your English family will have noticed the lack of engagements,but maybe a more peaceful life will improve the chances of healing for yourdaughter. Her treatment in Germany will most likely be stopped by Brexit (no, it’s not)

Our national airline has stopped, which has me concerned,but are still flying to China in order to bring medical supplies, and in particularprotective clothing over – it is frightening how much of our supply chain isdependant on China – for me this is an eye opener.

Etc. etc. some more personal stuff and he signshimself as ‘your toe tickler’ since I always sign off with your ‘anti-podeanfriend’

Taurisk

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.