your mother was astute. everyone i know who bought a house when...

1. 17,104 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 325
    your mother was astute. everyone i know who bought a house when they were young bought themselves something useful it wasn't as crippling then as it was for young people today. I'm not sure people are any better off if their parents were academic as mine were. i took it all for granted and did less with my education as a result. in the end my view was always that university doesn't guarantee intellect and it doesn't guarantee a pleasant nature either. likewise not going to university doesn't mean lack of intellect. if your parents didn't see the value in education or didn't care you wouldn't have had the same exposure as i did to books, reading and similar.

i can still remember vividly my father settling down in front of the fire some evening and we (4 of us at that stage) would sit on the floor around him and listen to him reading alice in wonderland and other lewis carroll books. he read then well with brilliant expression and timing. the hunting of the snark, the walrus and the carpenter and also other authors. mum used to read aa milne to us. when she was in full blown dementia i used to read them to her and it would bring back her voice. she was like a little child reciting them with me. i loved how a shared moment from childhood could become a comfort to her later.

I have a sister who never bought a house either - and that is a huge problem for her now. and too late for her to turn back time. having a house when you are older is important for a sense of security i think.

it's interest looking back and seeing points that could have been sliding door moments and some that where but you can't change the past
    that's very true.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.