@NoBoDe - You sent me down a number of memory lanes, needed a...

1. 17,692 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 140
    @NoBoDe - You sent me down a number of memory lanes, needed a compass to get me out of it.redface.png your article on archery did it!

Firstly, I remembered a farm girl, who was the girl friend of a hippy friend of ours - they lived in the bush, he collected old VW combies and if you wanted a spare part, he always found one for youl
    Said hippy girl was from a good Melbourne background, had a good education, but we were discussing 'meat' one day, and she reckoned she couldn't live without meat and would actually chase down some critter, kill it and eat it. I said, I couldn't do that.

Over the years I observed my girls going through various phases of eating meat, not eating meat, eating gluten-free (well that's a permanent for one of them and a granddaughter too, as they really are unable to process gluten without major impact on their wellbeing) etc. two of them do not eat meat (one recently died - she relented towards the end and ate a bit of chicken and fish now and then).
    I knew, my mother was originally from the country !! but we lived in a city and we kept a rabbit after the war in a box in the toilet. I made it my pet. One day just before Christmas it was gone. I asked where it had vanished to? told the rabbit had gotten ill. Inquired and was told detail of its burial! Sad!!

Christmas dinner was a meat dinner - I didn't ask questions, but months later I asked, if I had eaten 'my rabbit' at Christmas - mother said 'yes' - I felt a sense of betrayal which I can still remember. Took me a long time to forgive my mother.

When did that critter which came from subsisting mostly on fruit, begin to kill a small mammal and eat it? and how did it kill that critter? with a stone, later with a club maybe?
    Fish would have been easy but would have needed to be cooked - so fire was a necessity, contents of shells would have been eaten raw.

Did ancient men hunt huge beasts like the mammoth with the weapons they had at their disposal?
    Most likely they ate meat, if it was small, or another animal had left some remains, or a larger animal had an accident.
    Some old hunting techniques would have been driving a herd of hooved beasts across a cliff face and kill them that way and then get into the butchering cooking etc.

Aboriginal man invented the boomerang - quite an achievement I think. Has anyone on here tried it out?

Fact according to Taurisk: the story of hunter/gatherer is a little too skewed towards man having been the total provider of food - most of the food would have been gathered and a lot would have consisted of bush fruit and roots and other edible greens and small animals would have been killed by both sexes, by either trapping them, or using a rock or small club.

Not a nice subject to talk about these days, when we can divorce ourselves from the act of butchery and buy our meat neatly packaged in the supermarket.
    Go well
    Taurisk

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.