I was thinking about your post this morning. A couple of...

1. 17,695 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 325
    I was thinking about your post this morning. A couple of thoughts. If your daughter wants to be in the uk she can make that choice - she doesn’t have to blame you. We all make the best decisions we can in life - and so did you

the other was to wonder if you are creative in any way

i have done a series of art works - all of which have been exhibited - which were a necessary part of my own healing. I guess healing is still a work in progress but I’m happy to say that I am probably unrecognisable from the scrap that crawled out of my situation. Artistic expression was part of that. One work tracked the early phase, another the middle confused and broken phase and the third - the hope and joy in being released. I did another which was a mask - torn and bleeding and bruised with the cruel words etched into it. I never reclaimed that from the exhibition. I didn’t want it. Last year I did another which was the rediscovery of me - and this group here were most definitely part of that. It may not be seen beyond the exhibition, though I have kept it as a reminder. I am now working on shaping two other pieces which are about forgiveness and compassion. They are both intended for exhibitions if they are accepted. One in Mandurah and one in tasmania.

for me each art piece requires a process of understanding, self reflection, expression and letting go. It is as if the emotion goes in to the piece and I become more free. Each piece requires me to try to capture the essence of what is floating in my mind. It requires a level of honesty as well. We can’t hide from the pain because it lies with us as we transform it from thought to structure and externalise it so that it no longer belongs to us. It also requires courage to put it out there. There was much shame in my situation and I had to admit it to the world. It is enormously healing. I put the sorrow elsewhere.

they know art is a very powerful means of healing. Maybe you can explore that for yourself.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.