Feel Better:Complain About Anything, page-71345

1. 18,403 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 182
    @NoBoDe - thanks for the memory, although i have never liked that church. It isn't too far from where my home was, and I often used the tram which ran along the 'Gürtel (belt) and it passed by that church. Some time ago I decided to check out the church because I felt I was doing it an injustice, but it wasn't much better on the inside, but I never knew it was on 'Mexikoplatz', although I remember that inscription on the route plan of the tramways.

In the past, I would have assumed it's named for the failed bid of the brother of the last Austrian emperor, Francis Joseph, who took on the role of Emperor of Mexico, offered to him by the French, and his Belgian and ambitious wife exhorted him to accept. He was emperor for a short while only and was eventually executed by the revolutionaries. Benito Juarez became the first President of Mexico.
    Maximilan was a person who could have been a better alternative for the Austro-Hungarian Empire, he was more open, more educated than his brother Francis Joseph. I am guessing, Francis Joseph happily agreed to let his brother accept the Mexican crown, to get competition out of the way. Just my spin on this. Similar with his son, Rudolf, who eventually committed suicide (together with a young mistress), for a number of reasons, but mostly because his father and the Viennese Court in general refuted his progressive ideas. It is strange, is it not, how 'conservative' always seems to win out, especially towards the dying days of an empire. People prefer to go along with what you know than what you don't know.

The church looks o.k. from a distance, but close-up it is too large for a fairly small space, the houses seem to crowd around it and the style is somewhat indeterminate - reminds me of the castles of Ludwig of Bavaria. I have always thought it forbidding.
    Go well
    Taurisk

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.