Feel Better:Complain About Anything, page-71509

1. 17,248 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 325
    all through history people have left their home country to seek opportunities. if the out of Africa theory is true in any way early humans wandered across the planet - other than a sense of adventure and curiosity it is also possible they were looking for a better something - not just lost. English, Portuguese, Spaniards, Dutch, Germans French all expanded their territories - matching the march of earlier Vikings, Huns, Scythians, Mongols, Romans, Macedonians/Greeks, Celts.

our forbears - well those of us who are not indigenous (and who knows about them) made the trek - either because of a criminal history or to better their lives. that continued through wave after wave of migrants - Russians, Germans, Dutch, English, Scottish, Irish, eastern Europeans, Italians, Greeks, Jews, Vietnamese, Cambodians, and so on - i could wander across the countries of the world and see how people sought opportunity. in some cases it was to find refuge and always because people sought something.

so it seems humans can't help themselves. we expect those on whose shores we land to get over any resistance, dislike, disdain or hatred. we expect to be valued as humans and sometimes /often we impose our own way of life and culture on others. wave after wave. year after year. decade after decade this has gone on.

what we don't seem to like is others doing it to "us" disturbing our own sense of culture and peace. threatening us with their difference. believing we are right and they are wrong. too easy to see the differences. it requires more effort to see the similarities.

over the years i have hosted hundreds of students in my home. much of the difference is personality not culture. we all want to be loved, respected, valued. some work harder at that than others. i am proud that my boys have grown up to be culturally aware and to distinguish personality from culture and to seek the good in others. I am proud that they have grown into fine caring men. I am proud that they are socially aware and sensitive. they contribute to society within their capability. they will help when they can. I have a grandchild who is eurasian - she is cute as and at 2 years 10 months carries on real conversations in english and mandarin. I love her for her kindness and curiosity and pure affection. i hope she never experiences discrimination because of her race. I hope that my daughter in law does not experience vilification because she is chinese. I am glad she made the journey to australia to study - she makes my son happy (and sometimes frustrated) as they both learn to navigate the divide.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.