Feel Better:Complain About Anything, page-73498

1. 18,249 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 176
    @NoBoDe an interesting word - seems the Romans first used this to describe 'Germans' - but apparently they weren't even Germans, but a celtic tribe - and they were called 'germane' as in the word 'neighbourly' - by their own neighbours in France, where the Romans got their word from.

I also found it interesting when I did my short stint of learning a Slavic language (Croatian) that the Slav word for German is 'Nemec' which means 'don't speak' - by which the Slav tribes in their early years in Europe, when they came across another tribe who they assumed would also speak a Slavic dialect, found out there were others who didn't - so they became the dumb silent ones - those who 'don't speak'.

Present-day Germans call themselves 'Deutsche' which also has strange roots, dating from the early Middle Ages and used by the Latin-speaking intelligentsia of the times for those people not speaking or writing latin as 'theodisce' - which eventually turned into 'deutsch' - so also related to who speaks or does not speak a certain language.
    Go well
    Taurisk

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.