Feel Better:Complain About Anything, page-87171

1. 11,621 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 675
    Hi@Taurisk,

This is a bit of an eye opener about silage. If bales are made correctly, there is very little chance of mould entering.
    With silage made in a pit, which I explained before. There is normally some mould around the edges, which is discarded, or if any is left, the cattle avoid it.

Hay must be made properly, if it is baled after getting too wet, mould can grow right through the bale and the cattle are likely to consume this.

Unfortunately, there needs to be a method to feed cattle in England, during the winter and in Australia during the summer. As there will never be enough grass for this purpose. The other alternative is to buy cattle pellets These are normally made from milled lupins, grains, chaff, minerals and sometimes molasses.
    This feed does not provide bulk, which they also need.
    So, basically I do not know what the alternatives are.
    What I find alarming is the possible leakage from polythene which contain toxins into the food chain.

Farming is nowadays very intensive. Before WW11 it was much more natural but labour intensive.
    Many families had a few chickens and grew their own fruit and vegetables and farms were smaller mixed family enterprises.
    But food had flavour and was unadulterated, much better.

Particularly in the UK there has been a strong movement towards getting back to the land and being self sufficient.
    This was my passion and there are very few animals and vegetables that we had not raised.
    There was a wonderful episode of Escape to the Country on last week. It was centred on Melton Mowbray in Leicestershire UK.
    This is where the famous pork pies were invented, now the whole town is a feast of gourmet home produced foods.
    You should look it up.

I could go on and on and bore you to death. But soil fertility in Australia is very poor. In the UK many livestock have to be overwintered inside. After they have been turned out in glee! There are sheds absolutely piled high with manure, mixed with straw which was used for their bedding.
    This is then spread on the land, known as shit spreading.After decades of this, the fertility of the land is much improved.

End of boring essay, you did ask lol.

Back to sorting out cupboards etc. Catch up when I can. Stay safe everyone Jo Jo.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.