I read a very interesting article today about alzheimers and...

1. 11,620 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 675
    I read a very interesting article today about alzheimers and dementia.
    Apparently a large number of people are misdiagnosed.
    The only way to be certain of the diagnosis is during a post mortem.....great.

One poor guy was diagnosed as having early onset dementia aged 54.They made plans for a rather sad retirement.
    After a year or so, from memory. He started to feel better.He went for further tests, initially the questionnaire and he passed with flying colours.It turns out that several conditions can lead to a misdiagnosis.

Among these are thyroid problems, UTI's Urinary Tract Infection, stress and the most common was dehydration.Dehydration is very common among older people, this leads to UTI's which cause confusion etc.There were many sad cases. People landed up in hospital for various reasons. This is where they became severely dehydrated and were incorrectly diagnosed. Hospitals recommended that the patients went into a home.

Oh heck, I will put the link up so you can read it yourself.It is worth bearing in mind, if not for yourselves, then for loved ones.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/health/medical/could-thousands-of-britons-have-been-wrongly-diagnosed-with-dementia/ar-AAYmpr4

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.