Feel Better:Complain About Anything, page-87308

1. 18,157 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 169
    @cara - my 'cultural conversion' took its time - still a work in progress . . . . I was brought up in Europe with mostly folk music (Mum and I used to sing together at times) and trashy operetta songs from the radio (I had a 'trash' detector from early on and found the stories, the texts just a little 'comical and off' at times but tried to remain empathetic with my mum) - plus trained as a pianist from age 10 - fell in love with Beethoven (Sturm und Drang) - later listened to Elvis with some astonishment (younger sis--in-law adored him) - my English wasn't good enough then . . . . slowly began to appreciate firstly negro spirituals, then film music - still don't think much of what goes for popular music, but did read a great tome on pop music - loaned me by an enthusiast, realised what a profitable business it had become . . . from often poor and exploitative beginnings.

Beatles were o.k - I now think they are unique - Elvis was/is amazing - don't like the new film - that guy has absolutely nothing of the deeply felt and also sexy nature of the original.
    In Australia hubby loved listening to the goons ( not music, I know, but noise) - again our music listening was mostly classical, because two younger daughters learnt firstly piano, then violin and cello . . . .
    Then hubby and I did a weekly radio show for our ethnic group (GermanAustrian) for 4 years and we had to do pop songs - got into the groove, just caught up on what was current, but actually old-fashioned - but via an Austrian pop musician learnt about Bob Marley etc.
    There is a big pop music scene in Europe too, Italian, Greek was popular in my country of origin, too. i have a hang-up on gypsy music, Hungarian music in general, Russian spiritual music, Slavic music with it's preference for minor keys . . .

Daughter - the one who died recently - began to play all kinds of music over in England, she was involved with every major pop group, often re-writing arrangements, going on tour with them (I went along once with her on a Mark Knopfler tour in France) - so I, too, got more interested - she became a respected jazz violinist, due to her husband being a drummer and having his own group - so I am a bit of a cross-over . . . tend to like good jazz, but still love classical music.
    I do like some Aussie folk music - also the Scots/Irish stuff - English composers: IMO the best English music was written by a baroque composer, Henry Purcell - but the music scene in London is absolutely amazing - have been over there many times and have always discovered something new . . . .

I still tickle the ivories now and then, but have lost much of my former skill, but great relaxation.

So big gaps - recently I really enjoyed the count-down of film music on ABC Classics.
    So forgive me for not being au fait with all things English and American.
    Wow - what a screed - apologies - need to run, lots to do round here, before the rain comes pelting down.

Go well
    Taurisk

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.