G-day Jo Jo, I can remember much discussion here on hc with a...

1. 28,507 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 423
    G-day Jo Jo,
    I can remember much discussion here on hc with a poster called Watso. He still posts about his frugality and his bargains and his "cooking" (which is pretty ordinary, to call it in the most modest way I can). However, he used to cook things in his thermos flask. I have a small "food" flask which one can take to have their coffee in one of my local shops here, and they charge you less if you hand it over to them for your coffee. I had almost forgotten it. Just eaten my oats now with the addition of blueberries and Greek Yoghurt added at the same time as the boiling water poured over the oats. Yes, it was very good with the blueberries nicely warmed throughout.

This morning I at last resisted the many temptations from Creswick to buy an On Special 100% alpaca quilt. Earlier in the season, I bought an alpaca blanket from the same company and it is part of my covering. I have a mohair rug but it is old, and I would like to ditch it. The alpaca blanket is stitched in a way that the cold air doesn't get through the machine stitches around its edges as it is stitched from the inside (according to their advertising blurb). Many advertisements will say "alpaca" but then you look for the fine print and it may be 20% alpca, then 40% wool, 10% silk (if you are lucky), and then balance is synthetic. I don't want that!!!!

I once used to buy thermal clothing from a company which then went out of business. That was ages ago. However, I buy fine, merino 100%, under long sleeve tops, like you would expect a wise granny would do, and then top that with perhaps three more outer garments. Layers are very good indeed. Except if you are wearing synthetic materials. They have a chilliness about them and I absolutely never buy them. A little Spandex is necessary in wool tights and pants, however, otherwise they are floppy rather than fitted.

It is such a pity that young Australian women have not be educated to how to dress in the depth of our winter. What's not to like about these animals? We are the home of the Merino sheep.

Here's the Herdwick sheep from the Lakes District. I guess you would know all about it and its survival story? Patons used to sell Herdwick wool to knitted (I am wearing a vest knitted from one of these animals right now), but it is no longer available. I have tried to buy it from England but without success. It's is very hard wearing (lasting for ever), and needs to be cleverly treated for it to be knittable. Makes great carpets....... and very warm tops indeed. Must be washed by hand and not in a washing machine.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.