I have a feeling from somewhere that Portuguese and Spanish are...

1. 17,248 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 325
    I have a feeling from somewhere that Portuguese and Spanish are more similar than Spanish and Catalan or whatever they speak in the Basque Country. So I’m sure it would be because they couldn’t make out what you were saying but more like how the northern Germans feel about southerners.

but Germans are funny - and kind but just gave a particular style that can be misleading.

I don’t see the French as arrogant - as long as they like you. But they do rather prize their language and culture. I have honestly never had anything but an enjoyable time in France. I’ll always attempt French and a smile and try. That helps heaps I think - it does anywhere. I have an enduring sense of connection to aunt Sophie who I met at a wedding in Kazakhstan. Not a word of English was useful but smiles, hugs and a connection that was inexplicable. I’ve had the same with lots of people. It’s heart work.

and you are right. Understanding culture is super important. But probably more important is liking people ! Everyone can recognise when you want to connect with them.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.