One of the first classes at University as a mature age student...

1. 59,251 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 727
    One of the first classes at University as a mature age student was Economics 101, I had no idea what economic was rolleyes.png Soon worked out it was a social science and quite enjoyed the subject.

First assignment was to pick an article out of a news paper and apply economic theory, I picked one titled "10% increase in cost of beer reduces sexually transmittable diseases in adolescents". Some in the class thought it was a bit inappropriate

Some of the elements of economics I applied was negative externalities of consumption and social cost, also how the 10% increase in cost of beer reduces had more impact on adolescent because they have less disposable income

Used a bunch of graphs like the one below and explained it in economics term but in a nut shell, increasing the cost of beer makes it less affordable to adolescent so not as many get drunk and engage in casual sex or promiscuous and so less likely to get sexually transmittable diseases which is a social cost

https://hotcopper.com.au/data/attachments/4487/4487215-aa3c539cd756d3ff93464908068beae4.jpg

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.