@Joannie - it seems 'mankind' is the same everywhere, I remember...

1. 18,011 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 154
    @Joannie - it seems 'mankind' is the same everywhere, I remember people puffing away at their ciggies, when a child - then here in Australia I once worked in a large office, where all you had was a small partition between you and the next typist - and I was next to a woman who smoked incessantly - I am a non-smoker - I had to leave in the end, couldn't stand it, which was a good thing, because I got my next job at Parliament House - had to do a typing and grammar test and I was the best one of the lot - me a 'foreigner' - I couldn't believe when the guy in charge rang me and told me and I said to him: 'are you sure you didn't make a mistake? - I am the 'foreigner' - and he replied: 'I couldn't care less if you were from Lithuania, you were the best!'
    We stayed friends, even though I migrated from his department to the Legislative Assembly.

Cars? I had my share of 'funny' cars too - remember a second-hand (or third or fourth, it was old) Beetle which I first used when driving to work - it had a 'list' to the left, and I always had to correct it, and there was always a draft from the front onto the steering wheel, and I 'froze' in winter. Luckily the journey wasn't too long, as we lived near Scarborough then and I always worked in 'the City' one place I worked at is now the Australian stock exchange, but it has been totally re-built.
    Also: hubby was always building, renovating, and when he bought his last and big project, it meant he would be carrying materials etc. so what does he do? bought a cheap little Asian car but it had a small loading platform instead of passenger seats, in which car, when the two of us sat in the front seat, were almost squashed, and we weren't fat people, just tall - well he was tall. I wish someone had taken a photograph of us then, but alas, just a memory.
    I loved that series, also loved 'Yes Minister' and that series with the upstart foreign factory owner who had bought the local gentry's country house? Cant' remember the name now.
    Clever people, the Brits!
    Tau
    ❤️

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.