Feel Better:Complain About Anything, page-106711

1. 18,032 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 154
    @Joannie Last night I watched 'cranky' Doc Martin (Martin Clunes) with a fellow actor travel the south coast of England, starting from Cornwall, but concentrating on Dorset (which I know - have been there with my husband, visiting relatives of my Aussie, but originally from Dorset, friends) - and it was amazingly beautiful, some of the scenery reminding me of my visits to the Mediterranean.
    Many years ago, hubby and I traveled there, mostly along the coast and going East. I was fascinated with the historical fact, that many centuries ago, it was King Alfred country - and even found him, as a statue in Winchester. I still think he was a selfless wonderful hero - overcoming his constant ill-health, travelling (mostly on horse-back) several times to Rome, engagin in several battles against the invading heathen Danes, fighting, negotiating with the Heathen invaders, but he was also on educating his people, becoming a Latin scholar himself after a life-time of study.
    But Y'day, they mostly talked about the romance of the various novels which had been set there by Thomas Hardy - - - sadly I couldn't finish watching it, had an important phone call to answer.
    I guess there will be a repeat.
    Tau

Something about King Alfred:

https://www.britannica.com/biography/Alfred-king-of-Wessex

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.