fevola to go to brisbane lions, page-25

1. 1,166 Posts.
    Furious Lions fans rally against Fevola trade

Within seconds of news coming to light that Brendan Fevola looks to be heading to the Brisbane Lions in a shock trade for Daniel Bradshaw and Michael Rischitelli, the internet sportsvine took flight.

For incensed Lions fans, sites like Facebook and Twitter provided an instant portal to vent their anger, or give the rare tick of approval, for a potential trade that would have enormous ramifications for both the Lions and Blues.

At the Facebook page of the Lions, which has almost 8000 members, Brisbane supporters gave a resounding thumbs-down to the move, even if it would pair Coleman medallist Fevola with Jonathan Brown in a dream forward line.

Many threatened to revoke their membership or refuse to support Fevola should he replace the popular Bradshaw, who hails from Wodonga but has raised his four children in Brisbane since moving north to join the then Bears in 1996.

Within an hour of the story breaking, a Facebook group - WE DO NOT WANT BRENDAN FEVOLA AT THE BRISBANE LIONS, ESPECIALLY NOT IN AN EXCHANGE FOR DANIEL BRADSHAW - was already in existence and busily recruiting anti-Fevola militia.

"Definitely against this 100%. Would have difficulty supporting the Lions and renewing my membership next year. I have watched Fev walk off the field several times without shaking our team's hands when the Blues have lost. He is not an asset to the culture of our team," wrote Sarah George.

On the Lions Facebook home, hundreds of comments were pouring in, overwhelmingly expressing their anger at suggestions Bradshaw, who kicked 58 goals for Brisbane this season, would be packaged up and shipped off for Fevola, who was recently fined $10,000 for his behaviour at the Brownlow Medal count.

"Stupid trade, the last thing we want is players with a bad reputation at the club. We should ALL email the club and let them know of the disapproval of this trade. NOT HAPPY JAN!!!!!", wrote Grant Linsley.

And devastated fan Julie Schinkel: "I'm lost for words. Braddy is my favourite player!"

Tweeting Lions members were just as vocal in their admonishment of Michael Voss's proposed move. "Brisbane close to signing Fevola, trading Rischitelli & Bradshaw....Disaster... Vossy, what are you doing?? Send my membership back..." tweets Bdoubledriver.

It wasn't all negativity. Some supporters, like Adrian Vella, interspersed the naysayers on Facebook: "I think we need to look at the positives. Fev is a great player and its been proven by his ability to kick a bag of goals and he's only 28. Bradshaw is a gun player but lets face it he has 1-2 years left in him and has always made it clear he wants to return to Melbourne.

"I really think a move to Brisbane away from the footy spotlight will be good for both Fev and Brisbane. Let's try and look at this is a positive. Give the guy a go. I am looking forward to seeing a Brown - Fev forward line, not many teams will stop that!"

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.