Skippy, The Sullivans, Spyforce, Bewitched, Mchales Navy, I...

1. 7,384 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 179
    Skippy, The Sullivans, Spyforce, Bewitched, Mchales Navy, I Dream of Jeannie, The Brady Bunch, Happy Days, Countdown, Matlock Police, Boney, Adventure Island, The Lost Islands, Division 4, Number 96, Class of 74, The Box, Bobby Dazzler, Young Ramsay, Ask the Leyland Brothers, Ryan, Blankety Blanks, Don Lane, The Ernie Sigley Show, The Graham Kennedy Show, Paul Hogan Show, The Goodies and Hey Hey It's Saturday!

Big hits that come from Australian soil in the 1970s were: Eagle Rock - Daddy Cool, Most People I know (Think That I'm Crazy) - Billy Thorpe and the Aztecs, Delta Dawn - Helen Reddy, Evie - Stevie Wright, Stayin' Alive - The Bee Gees, Horror Movie - Skyhooks, Howzat - Sherbet and Up There Cazaly - The Two Man Band and everything ACDC

Australian sport soared to new heights in the 1970s largely because of Australian entrepreneur Kerry Packer televising cricket on his commercial TV station Channel Nine for the first time. The 1970s also introduced sports sponsorship which meant sport no longer had to be just for fun, it turned professional. Rugby and AFL took off in the 1970s too following television coverage

Australia had 3 Liberal and 1 Labor Prime Minister during the 1970s. John Gorton (Liberal) 1968 to 1971, William McMahon (Liberal) 1971 to 1972, Gough Whitlam (Labor) 1972 to 1975 and Malcolm Fraser (Liberal) 1975 to 1983.

It was a devastating decade for natural disasters in Australia with Cyclone Ada in 1970, the Kin Kin tornado in 1971, Cyclone Tracy in 1974 and Cyclone Alby in 1978
    The 1974-75 Australian bushfire season that burned across Australia during the summer burned up an estimated 117 million hectare, which is 15% of Australia's land!
    The Brisbane 1974 floods occurred following 3 weeks of continual rain. In total, there were 16 fatalities, 300 people injured, 8,000 homes destroyed and an estimated A$980 million in damages.
    The worst industrial accident to occur in Australia's history happened in 1970 when the West Gate Bridge collapsed into the Yarra River where 35 workers lost their lives.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.