The more you earn the more you spend .... So. budgeting is the...

1. 12,455 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 265
    The more you earn the more you spend .... So. budgeting is the key.

My wife & I spent 8 years in the Pacific Islands doing volunteern work & came back to Aus in 2000. When we came back we had $8k to our name, enough to buy a car.

I took up a full time job & she worked 30 hours p/w. We made a tight budget that had us living off her wage, and banked all of mine. We did this for 4 years. In 2002 we picked up a cheap piece of land in Melbourne (a back yard subdivided into a battle axe block) In 2004 we had enough cash to owner build a nice townhouse on it. In the interim I had been investing a portion of the savings in the market

After completing the project I had about $35k left over

So with a tight budget, we went from $8 in the bank in 2000, to owning our own townhouse 30k out from the Melbourne CBD ... freehold, in 2004.

I then traded the $35k ... added more spare cash over the next 2 years & gave up work in 2006 to trade full-time. Have never looked back.

The key is a good budget. Also, if you know the markets, then forget about paying off the mortgage. A mortgage is a cheap loan!! Keep it, and use the extra funds to put into the market. With smart market investing & trading you could pay off the $250k morgage in no time.

cheers

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.