finkelstein's gag on speech freedoms , page-3

1. 27,720 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 23
    Late yesterday afternoon, I read something that sent chills down my spine.

Mr. Ray Finkelstein QC, a left-wing former Federal Court Judge with no media experience, at the request of the Gillard Government, issued a 400 page report which calls for a Big Brother Super-Regulator to 'regulate' political speech and - among other things - impose new laws with the power to stop climate change realists from speaking up.

Its “recommendations” will sicken every single Australian: They actually call for a Big Brother Super-Regulator to censor not just the newspapers and TV, but websites, personal blogs, and even what you say on Twitter!

This is a proposal that would seem right at home in North Korea or Zibmabwe. I never thought – as dark as things seemed- we could stoop this low here in Australia.

It is clear from the report, in particular paragraphs 4.31-4.42, that silencing climate realists is a major reason for these regulations: it is unashamedly explicit in this (and even uses the dirty trick of using polls from – wait for it – 1966 as evidence the media is pro-climate skeptic, and that – wait for it - only the ABC is unbiased!)

The size and scope of the proposed Super-Regulator is breathtaking. They will have the power to impose a “code of ethics”, force you to print views you don’t agree with as part of a ‘right of reply’, take you to court, and even make you take pieces down! Even personal blogs that get only 40 hits a day will be covered! To make matters worse, the SuperRegulator "would not have to give reasons for its decisions" and the decisions "would not be subject to appeal." Even climate change websites in other countries like Watt’s Up With That will be coved by this!

We need to speak out now – while we are still allowed.

This is why I just created www.FreeSpeechAustralia.com so we can work together to help stop this nightmare from becoming a reality. .

It includes an online petition, which I STRONGLY urge you all to sign and to pass onto all your family and friends, as well as an “Action Centre” detailing what other activities you can take, a resource toolkit, and links to a Facebook page and Twitter account.

We are not the only ones concerned about this. Here is what some others are saying:

Andrew Bolt:

It is so shameful, so embarrassing, so astonishing that this kind of thing is now proposed in Australia. It is a fundamental attack on one of the most charming, important and enduring characteristics of Australia - the tradition of free speech that has nurtured the larrikin and the teller of unpopular truths. That has exposed charlatans and tormented politicians too full of their self-importance…

And be warned. In writing even this I have taken a professional risk. In no genuinely free society should I be scared to speak like this. Nor should you.

Defend free speech while you still have what’s left

Institute of Public Affairs:

The government and opposition must reject the outrageous attack on freedom of speech recommended by the Chair of the Independent Media Inquiry, Ray Finkelstein…The proposals are an unprecedented attack on freedom of speech in Australia.

The practical effect of Finkelstein's proposals is to licence newspapers, magazines, and blogs. This is a massive intrusion on what we can read and write.

His proposed ‘News Media Council' would be empowered to censor - to force media outlets to remove material from the internet. It is shameful that the Media Inquiry has recommended such a massive expansion of regulation. The government must reject Finkelstein's proposals out of hand

Make no mistake – if we don’t stop this now, climate realists will be silenced forever.

Australia is already behind countries like, Niger, Mali, Slovakia, Namibia and Poland in the Index of Media Freedom. If this is passed, we will be joining North Korea, Cuba, and Zimbabwe.
    We still have a chance to stop this: the Government has not agreed to the recommendations, nor have the independents. If we take action now – we WILL prevail!

Here’s what you can do right now to stop this nightmare from becoming a reality:

1)Visit www.FreeSpeechAustralia.com and sign our online petition calling on the government to reject these recommendations outright. Then pass this on to your family, friends, bloggers you read, and any other contacts you may have!

2)Visit our online resource centre to find out what MP’s to contact, and a draft email of what to say.

3)Call your local talkback radio station, or write a letter to the editor of a newspaper expressing your disgust at this proposal!

4)Follow us on Facebook and Twitter, and share with all your contacts!

5)Make a donation of $25, $50, or $100 to help us spread the word. As much as I would like to, I can't afford to run this campaign myself, and every cent donated will go to making sure this does not become a reality!

Freedom of speech is at the very heart of democracy, and if we do not stand up to defend it now, we might not have the chance again: all it takes for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.
    I know I can count on you to do the right thing and take action now.

Our future as a free society depends on it.
    Timothy Andrews
    Managing Editor
    Menzies House

PS: Please take the time to visit Free Speech Australia and take action to save free speech and our right to speak the truth - before it become illegal

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.