I dont argue about strong and firm laws and institutions. BUT...

1. 2,710 Posts.
    I dont argue about strong and firm laws and institutions. BUT the laws should be centred around the rights of individuals and the limiting powers of government. It should also be based on quality not quantity. A few rules clearly spelled out. A few institutions whose role and powers are clearly spelled out.

Governments, around the world, have gone way to far in regulating and legislating anything they can. They deliberately create as many zombies as they can in the belief that these zombies will be grateful and vote them back in.

Governments, around the world, have got too damn large. In many western countries the government sector is over 50% of the GDP. That is very unhealthy and in the end kills off an economy. Something we are currently clearly seeing unfold.

However, I do not agree that strong laws and institutions keep us civilised. That is a patronising viewpoint of mainly the left who think people cannot think for themselves and if they are not told what to do by a benevolent government they will do the wrong thing.

That is a terrible thing to believe. How little faith you have in humans and how wrong you are.

Working with your theory, when government laws and institutions were left 'helpless' after a disaster, the citizens would automatically go troppo. Every human for themselves.

Yet, when disaster strikes you can often see the most amazing selfless acts from humans for total strangers. I'm thinking Queensland and NSW floods from last year and the Japan earthquake. The Vic bushfires and the Chinese earthquake.

Have faith in your fellow humans cgt. They may well surprise on the upside.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.