@zipperlipI worry in these times that a photo can be tracked and...

1. 3,062 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 115
    @zipperlip

I worry in these times that a photo can be tracked and vegies stolen but I am happy to describe it.Its 25m x 15m east - west oriented. (facing the sun) Beds are 3m x 1.5m and raised 400mm so I can sit on them to plant, harvest or weed as required. 95% of weeding is done by excluding light so very little to do there.3 rows of five on the north side with 4, 3 x 3 beds at the back which are used to rotate a hot house seasonally or if required. The hot house is UPVC and is about 3 x 3. The extra metre at the front of these bigger beds contains permanent things like asparagus and rhubarb and miners lettuce or leaks which go two years.The two middle rows are about 1m apart which leaves two wider spacing either side of the centre pair to enable access for my ride on mower with trailer to add compost or soil or harvest as required. We usually do 1/2 or a full bed of most things. With two for the white vs Blue spuds as different soil is required.We harvest all year round. Today we planted (shallots) for salads and pickling and 3 different types of garlic. Im about a month late this year but the seasons tell me when to plant.Obviously the main harvest is about finished with the last of the spuds (5 types (two purple) and oca to come out. Still harvesting carrots, beet root, parsnips, swedes red cabbage silver beet, spinach, lettuces (3 types), cellery, bok choi, kale and mustard and will continue to do so through the winter. Strawberries and raspberries finished about two weeks ago along with cabbage, brussel sprouts and leaks.In the freezer are a years supply of peas, beans and few months of corn. We do tomato sauce chutney relish etc cucumber relish, green tomato pickles, pickled beet root, sour kraut and pickled onions. This all backs onto a 20 metre shed used to create a micro climate along with a bamboo hedge to the west to protect it all from the westerly winds to enable all year round growing. The bamboo shoots are eaten by us and the lower leaves are browsed by our Wiltshire horned sheep.The bamboo is harvested for stakes in the garden and fencing, live, and normal.Soil creation and fertilising is another chapter.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.