Im easy one way or the other.I have been down the paper brick...

1. 3,062 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 115
    Im easy one way or the other.
    I have been down the paper brick path. My experience is that they take a fair bit of time to make and leaves a large amount of ash if you use them to burn as a fuel or for heating.
    I am the type who tries everything if it looks practical but usually settles on the best return for effort. I also look at the bigger picture to get things into perspective and simplify things where possible. Some of the idealist subjects just dont wash with me.
    To the point...... sandy soils are usually alkaline. Is it sand or sandy loam?
    Your comment above re drainage is not usually relevant to sandy soils, they leach everything that goes into them. You need to stop the leaching to retain the nutrients and minerals. First, establish that the soil is actually alkaline, then add sawdust and other organic material. If at all possible you need to get earthworms to take up residence. You will never have the ideal garden if you dont have worms.
    Either way, with sand, hugel beds can helpful to get things started. Are you familiar with them?

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.