Firewood, page-64

1. 3,067 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 115
    Yep, thats life with sand. I hated clay when I first got this place. Now I love it. You are on the right track just need more of the same.
    Hugel beds, a European term. Dig a bed shaped hole and fill it with preferably dry, branches, trees, old posts, anything that will rot and hold water. Charcoal is good if you have it. Heaps of cardboard, sawdust etc Cover all this with whatever you have had in the bed too date. Add sawdust at least 50/50 with the sand once again anything that will rot and hold water.... cardboard, wood chips are great, sawdust plus the sheep manure and cow manure like you mentioned etc. Saw dust is acid so are wood chips. These need extra nitrogen to help break it down.
    Mix up a batch of 3 parts seed meal, 3 parts blood and bone 1 part kelp 1 part phosphate rock phosphate. Add about 2 litres of this mix to every sq metre of bed to start with.
    Remember, Nitrogen for leaf growth, phosphorus for flowering and potash and phosphorus for root growth. Ph test before and part way through the season. Two seasons of this and you will have some reasonable results.You can save yourself some time if you can find some clay/ish soil to add as well. The darker the soil gets the better it is. Ideal soil once it had life in it is always black.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.