First-home buyers have unrealistic expectations, page-122

1. 597 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 4
    The subject being discussed on this forum is interesting . In reality it is almost impossible to compare eras such as baby boomers ( which I am one) to more recent generations as almost everything is different.

Eg Baby boomers in the main purchased their first home of about half the size of most new homes and usually only had one full time income in the household and did not receive first home buyers grants or Govt. payments for the likes of child care costs. They DID have job security then which does not exist now.
    They could only borrow about 70 percent of the house cost and payments could not exceed about 25 percent of the Male only income. Households usually only had one car to run and pay for. We raised four children without any Govt. support .

Eg Newer generations generally receive better incomes and usually have two household full time incomes . They receive first home buyer grants and child care cost assistance from Govt. Job security is mostly non existent.
    Homes being purchased are much larger than those purchased by baby boomers. Households usually run two cars .
    One of my children some years back told me baby boomers are the cause of the high costs to purchase homes. He now owns six homes including his own ( with large mortgages) he says so he can fund his retirement. He is doing the same to the next generation that he has accused the baby boomers of.

Many seem concerned about baby boomers getting pensions , for which they have contributed by way of tax over around 50 years of work . What about all the immigrants Australia is taking in who have contributed nothing financially to the country and immediately become eligible for a Medicare cover , Pensions and other Centrelink benefits?

Every different generation will face different circumstances to the generation before them. Change is continual.

Food for balanced thought!

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.