GCN 0.00% 0.7¢ goconnect limited

first mover advantage

1. 2,871 Posts.
    According to wikipedia:

In marketing, first-mover advantage or FMA is the advantage gained by the initial ("first-moving") significant occupant of a market segment. It may be referred to as Technological Leadership. This advantage may stem from the fact that the first entrant can gain control of resources that followers may not be able to match.[1] Sometimes the first mover is not able to capitalize on its advantage, leaving the opportunity for another firm to gain second-mover advantage.

Originally made apparent by the ever booming Internet phenomenon, it has recently been on the decline due to the recent economic downturn. Sometimes first-movers are rewarded with huge profit margins and a monopoly-like status. Other times the first-mover is not able to capitalize on its advantage, leaving the opportunity for other firms to compete effectively and efficiently versus their earlier entrants. These individuals then gain a "second-mover advantage".

I put it to you that GCN has missed out on their supposed "first mover" advantage as the company likes to regularly spout on about. Many Australian media companies are now at the forefront of online media technology leaving GCN in their wake.

One company is currently streaming premium content via the web to your Smart TV. Revenues and membership numbers are increasing every quarter and they have recently had a cornerstone investor come on board with an investment of $10 million. Another mobile phone media company has a tiny market cap ($7 million) but on target to achieve revenue for 2011/2012 of double their market cap. Imagine if GCN could do that. Revenue of $56 million??? This WiFi will give them revenue of what? Maybe $1 million per annum?

Anyway, just thought I would post this as all too often I hear from GCN and their followers that they have the "first mover" advantage. Well I would like to put to you that they have not taken advantage of that at all to progress their business.

If they had this advantage they would not be in the position they are in today. If you think GCN are the only player in the IPTV game, think again.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add GCN (ASX) to my watchlist

Currently unlisted public company.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.