You have to read the post more carefully Billy, since the...

1. 25,520 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 7
    You have to read the post more carefully Billy, since the retailers state that the flow on effect from the stimulus package will not be seen until after the Christmas figures are published. People that I know in that age bracket certainly spent most of the 'bonus' and, in some in instances, part of it was used to bring a smile to their grandchldren.

Of course it will be difficult to ascertain the exact impact of the 'bonus' as distinct from the other factors that you mention eg lower petrol prices etc., but economists will always tell you that confidence is an essential factor in dealing with a recesssion.

These are unprecedented economic times (at least in my life time)and the Government is right in doing everything in its power to stimulate the economy. Jobs depend on it.

I am not fussed if the Federal Government goes into deficit as long as, when the tide turns, it reverts to a surplus policy. Whilst one can not deny that the present Federal Labor Government benefited from the surplus left by the previous Liberal Government, but that Government, at least in its last two years in office, squandered a portion of its surplus in trying to buy votes.

However those welfare and sole interest groups who 'screamed' for more Government largesse and harrased the previous Government over its surplus are not totally blameless in this regard with their constant pleading for more and more handouts. That is the inherent weakness of Democracy (that doesn't mean that I am opposed to Democracy) that is, that you need to please the electorate to attain Government.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.