"This is the ONLY option where you have "was"eimi: I exist, I...

1. 8,407 Posts.
    "This is the ONLY option where you have "was"eimi: I exist, I am

Original Word: εἰμί
    Part of Speech: VerbTransliteration: eimi
    Phonetic Spelling: (i-mee')
    Definition: I exist, I am
    Usage: I am, exist."

I am completely out of my depth when it comes to understanding and translating Greek.
    However you are way behind me yet imagine you know better than countless Greek speaking translators ??
    Go figure.

I still don't understand what your issue is with translating "eimi:" as "was" because in this context John is writing about something that existed in the beginning ... his past. In other words it "was" in the beginning.

If your objection is that was is not a valid word then you need to look again.
    The Strong's simple concordance is a generality certainly not the only words that can be used because "eimi:" is a verb and doesn't detail what tense .. which in Greek is a very complicated matter.
    Why do you think the saying "It's all Greek to me" was invented !
    Just look at all the other concords on that same page.
    https://biblehub.com/greek/1510.htm

Even so I don't see how your version affects the meaning or clarifies what John was trying to convey .. that the Word was with God and God is and was the Word.

Most of your issues are because you insist on Sola Scriptura and the claimed infallibility/God's word of the Bible. It just isn't true.

Thus you (and plenty of others) must spend huge amounts of time trying to devise an interpretation that fits a square peg into a round hole. All with slightly different pegs !

Can't help with 1:14 except as part of the above.
    You will never convince a single conventional Christian that John was not trying to elevate Jesus to the status of the Word and as a support for the Trinity doctrine.
    Better to forget that dead end and concentrate on the real issues such as John claiming that Jesus, well known as the word and image of God is the God/Word that facilitated the Creation of the Universe.
    That's John's claim and overreach of the divinity of Jesus.
    The first questions should be why none of this is even hinted at in the other Gospels and why is John's Gospel so different from the others.

Last edited by Copperbod: 24/04/23

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.