Hi @eagle888I feel comparison of the fall of the Roman Empire...

1. 38,132 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 436
    Hi @eagle888

I feel comparison of the fall of the Roman Empire with what I suspect is the demise or significant diminishing of western democracy is a fair one.

Considering all the great Roman accomplishments over a millennium, to fall due to complacency, hubris and hedonism seems unforgivable. They lost their way, their moral compass and their spirit of great and meaningful aspirations.

Can you not see at least the harbingers of a disturbingly similar potential demise in modern western democracies?

What is there that is great, aspirational or inspiring about say the last 3 decades? Globalisation? Cruelling of productive capacity? Stalled (until very recently) space exploration? Facebook? Twitter? Google? Apple? The internet? The influence of social media? “Discovering 32 genders and rising? Helicopter parenting? Climate change? Legitimising individual rights to be offended by anything? Deliveroo? Corporatisation of food production? The rise and rise of coal since the industrial revolution?

Dex

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.