PLATINUM 0.72% $840.00 platinum futures

Platinum 15 times rarer than goldExtensive industrial use Gold...

1. 36 Posts.
    Platinum 15 times rarer than gold
    Extensive industrial use
    Gold sourced from diverse geographic locations whilst 75-80% platinum from S.Africa.
    Ater 10 years of price rises gold production may finally be abt to rise, seems Pt output in doldrums.
    Stockpiles limited
    And yet price ratio is approx 1:1, seems as though average ratio approx 1.5:1.
    During episodes of economic turmoil the ratio being low is understandable. Particularly post Japanese tsunami which cut auto production. Thus the demand outlook remains pretty patchy s/t. It is the supply dynamic that interests me most.
    By all accounts SA producers are really struggling to remain economically viable as grades diminish and costs rise. Furthermore with sovereign risk rising in SA i would anticipate higher prices.
    I have been bullish gold for 10 years now and remain structurally positive however, i believe the next boom commodity will be platinum.
    If you are looking for a stock to benefit from this you will need to do some serious research into a little ASX listed co with the code CPD. Very little in the way of results thus far. But check the history of the ground and the quality of the management. I have a serious holding in this stock so dont want to be seen as ramping.
    The chairman is Ed Nealon ex chair AQP and other director is W. Hayden (Robert Friedlands pointman and director of Ivanhoe Nickel and Platinum). Very tightly held and capped at less than $50m.
    You will need to be comfortable with Columbia, but just look at the list of mining co's doing business there.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add PLATINUM (NYMEX) to my watchlist
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.