former judge einfeld gets at least two years j, page-12

1. 12,609 Posts.
    I can see your point Taurisk, and I guess the same sentence would seem excessive, regardless of the background of the offender.

I think that it this case, we, as Joe Citizens tend to focus on the amount of $77, and this, to a certain extent is what leads us to decide that the sentence is far too harsh.

The amount involved is probably of only limited relevance in this situation. What is much more relevant is the simple decision to commmit perjury by a person who is fully practised in law, and fully aware of the possible consequences.

The court is left with little option but to deal very harshly with a person such as this. The consequences of leniency are unthinkable really.

It is rather perplexing that this man could arrive at this point, but I guess it probably came about with limited initial premeditation, and then he found it too shameful to retreat when his initial story was shown to be false. Hard to know.

Like you, I feel sorry for the guy. I have no doubt that it is just a case of an honorable man making a very bad mistake. I feel very sorry for his family too. I have a good mate who was jailed for embezzlement when a gambling habit got out of hand. I visited him once in jail and regardless of the stuff we hear about prisoners getting it too good, prisons are not nice places...very ugly in fact.
    My mate repaid all the money, and today continues on as a great citizen.

We all make mistakes. Sometimes these can be incredibly stupid, and then it's a tough time for everyone.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.