BRU 0.00% 8.0¢ buru energy limited

fraccing, page-2

1. 1,401 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 107
    ABC news site 1 hr ago

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-03-21/buru27s-fracking-discussion-in-classrooms-criticised/5336352

A decision to allow oil and gas company Buru Energy into classrooms in Western Australia's Kimberley region to talk to children about fracking has been criticised.

A scientist employed by Buru is hosting the career information sessions, which one parent has described as "a very polished, one-sided unbalanced" presentation of information regarding the process.

The fracking process involves fracturing shale and other hard rock, between 2.5 kilometres and 4 kilometres underground, to release the shale gas.

It has been banned in France and caused controversy in other countries amid claims it contaminates local water supplies.

The fact that a very polished, one-sided unbalanced view can be put to children is very manipulative.
    Shelley Stanfield
    Fracking is also a contentious issue in parts of WA, with Buru set to begin a pilot hydraulic fracking program involving four wells in the Canning Basin in May, subject to final environmental approval.

Broome parent Shelley Stansfield said she was particularly concerned that the scientist who spoke at the schools promoted fracking as safe, when that was in dispute.

"The fact that a very polished, one-sided unbalanced view can be put to children is very manipulative and unethical in my view" she said.

"I was outraged to find that a corporation whose activities are threatening the health and future of children would be allowed to present through a very manipulative format, to young children who don't understand what their activities are, and what the impacts will be."

However Buru spokesman and former MP Jon Ford says the company was simply in the classrooms to give information.

"My understanding is that there's always teachers in there, and we don't actually try to sell, we just try to give information and that's what education is all about," he said.

Besides, he says, students are smart enough to critically analyse the information.

"When we talk about our children, they are pretty well informed, and it's part of a discussion, obviously, which is good that they go home and talk to their kids and that parents have that sort of feedback," Mr Ford said.

At least five schools are hosting the presentations.

Career information only expected to be presented

The Education Department has defended the decision to allow Buru to enter the classrooms, saying the expectation was that the information would be limited to one area.

..if parents have got concerns they should approach the schools...and I'm sure the schools will respond appropriately to make sure balance is achieved.
    Greg Robson, Education Department.
    "The main purpose of the presentations was for the scientist to outline a range of career options, including the professions that bear upon the oil and gas industry," Kimberley regional executive director Greg Robson said.

"In this case, given the purpose was to talk about careers, the issue of the fracturing of rock came up as an incidental thing.

"But I do understand and appreciate that if parents have got concerns, they should approach the schools to make the point, and I'm sure the schools will respond appropriately to make sure balance is achieved."

"The leadership of schools, in an environmentally sensitive area such as the Kimberley, would be well and truly aware for the need for a balanced perspective."

Earlier this month, Martin Pritchard from Environs Kimberley, raised concerns about Buru's plans saying he is worried about the industrialisation of the Kimberley and fears for the future of wetland areas like Roebuck Bay.

"Do we want to threaten places like this with a polluting industry into the future?" he said.

"Do we want a legacy of toxic chemicals in a place like the Kimberley?"

If Buru is given the go ahead for its exploration project, it will frack the four wells 32 times, and if these are successful, it could go on to drill between 100 and 150 wells.

These wells would be drilled from 10 pads, five kilometres apart.

Buru needs approval from the WA Department of Mines and Petroleum before drilling can start.

However, it faces potential delays, with about 80 appeals being lodged against a decision by the state's environmental watchdog, the Environmental Protection Authority, not to formally assess the project.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add BRU (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
8.0¢
Change
0.000(0.00%)
Mkt cap ! $53.70M
Open High Low Value Volume
0.0¢ 0.0¢ 0.0¢ $0 0

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
1 7012 8.1¢

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
8.2¢ 176 1
View Market Depth
Last trade - 11.47am 16/07/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
BRU (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.