XJO 0.86% 7,829.7 s&p/asx 200

Hey 64 Wasn't intending to deride the wage arbitrage, merely...

1. 5,523 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 31
    Hey 64

Wasn't intending to deride the wage arbitrage, merely trying to point out it's shortcomings. I find nothing wrong with it at all, and yes it is the "normal" way to go.

Interesting to note your Gittens post regarding India and how India has "jumped a stage" ( to paraphrase). It's a very significant point and one which I handn't thougtht of. In essence, it represents India going into the new territory that I mentioned in my post, and all things being equal, giving it an edge that mere wage arbitrage doesn't.

I disagree with Gittens when he lists Japan as one of the low labour cost countries. I think the situation there was much more complex after the war, and was perhaps similar to Germany where both countries had to industrially re-tool and societally "flatten" the social hierachies. And in a sense re-define how they saw themselves as nations. (As did Russia, who did it earlier and during wars).

But I agree that Japan was buiding the "cheap goods" and that the industrial experience which that gave them allowed them to be one of the most technologically gifted nations which now exits.

Agreed on Chinas world influence, but it's the same game as the US played. ie the US has a world bank, now China has one. If you are going to export (deflation or inflation) you want to be able to do it through your currency. Now I belive that "across the board" deflation (despite your links, and as we are experiencing it now ) is primarily a currency issue more than it is a "demand issue". The two are inter-related of course. And if your currency is dominant, then the control of that fiat currency allows to to "export" the 'flations in a much more direct way than the beggar-thy-neighbor approach intimated in the first article.

It can be argued that this is exactly what the US did with OPEC, and in particular the Wahabist Saudi foyal family. Which, by all that the US trumpets as holy, should be seen as anathema.

Anyway, I don't want to be thought of a China-basher, but rather a hegemon-basher, and I think China is definitely throwing it's hat into the ring on this point.

Great chat, and thanks for the feed back. They are topics I really should spend more time. on.

Off to have coffee with a friend.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add XJO (ASX) to my watchlist
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.