friend 'tried to save hookes', page-22

1. 5,426 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 2
    Victorian cricketer Michael Lewis told the Victorian Supreme Court
    He said he saw one security man go behind 48-year-old Mr Hookes, grab him around the throat and pull him to the ground.
    A second bouncer then grabbed Mr Hookes by his shirt, and a third punched him in the stomach, Mr Lewis said.
    He said the three men had targeted Mr Hookes just before he was punched by 23-year-old Zdravko Micevic outside the Beaconsfield Hotel in bayside St Kilda on January 18 last year.

Mr Hookes pleaded with bouncers to "let him go" that night, the court also heard.
    According to Jonathon Porter, who was drinking with the former Test batsman and radio host on January 18 last year, hotel security staff grabbed Hookes in a headlock and marched him out of the pub just after last drinks had been called.

"Hookes was saying, 'Leave me alone, I'll walk out under my own steam'," Mr Porter, the first witness to give evidence in the Supreme Court manslaughter trial of former bouncer Zdravko Micevic, said.
    Once outside the pub, Hookes remained the "focus of attention" of the security staff, who continued to grab his shirt as members of the so-called cricket group, who had been drinking with the then Victorian cricket coach, tried to free him.

Another member of the cricketers' group, Tania Plumpton, said Mr Hookes had intervened when the then girlfriend of Mr Lewis, Sue-Anne Hunter, was told by a bouncer to "scull your drink you bitch".

Mr Hookes was then grabbed in a headlock when he told the man "that's no way to talk to a lady", she said.

She said she had tried to help Mr Hookes because he was having trouble breathing.
    --------------------------------------------------
    So Allan after all that you would be all Hugs and Kisses the next day? … Oh that’s right you’re dead!

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.