DVP 4.19% $2.06 develop global limited

It may be bad for my BHP holding, but I think I will be more...

1. 1,004 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 85
    It may be bad for my BHP holding, but I think I will be more than compensated on my VXR holding.

A union of remote workers for BHP's Escondida and Spence copper mines in Chile walked off the job early on Thursday after efforts to ink a labor contract deal with the company's management fell through, fueling uncertainty over the global supply of the red metal.

The strike at Escondida, the world's largest copper mine, and at the smaller Spence comes as copper prices have spiked amid soaring demand as the world's largest economies revive following more than a year of coronavirus-induced stagnation.

The 205-member union runs BHP's Integrated Operations Center, which remotely manages pits and cathode and concentrator plants from Santiago.

"We have started the legal strike, people are not working. Now we are organizing ourselves to see how we are going to face the coming days," the president of the union, Jessica Orellana, told Reuters.

She called the timetable for the walk-off "indefinite." BHP Group Ltd (BHP) said on Wednesday it would take contingency measures at its operations, and said the rest of its workers and contractors would continue with their everyday tasks.

BHP and the union earlier this week completed a period of five days of government-ordered mediation, which could have been extended. But union members decided to strike, saying the offer on the table was insufficient. BHP called the deal "competitive."

The strike comes as global copper prices hover near record highs and amid rising political risk in the region, with potentially big political shifts under way in both No. 1 copper producer Chile and neighboring Peru, the No. 2 producer.

The sprawling Escondida produced 1.19 million tonnes of copper in 2020, while Spence produced 146,700 tonnes of Chile's total 5.7 million tonnes.
    Last edited by bellenuit: 28/05/21

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add DVP (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
$2.06
Change
-0.090(4.19%)
Mkt cap ! $499.8M
Open High Low Value Volume
$2.14 $2.16 $2.04 $2.223M 1.065M

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
1 46348 $2.06

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
$2.07 3858 2
View Market Depth
Last trade - 16.10pm 16/04/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
Last
$2.05
  Change
-0.090 ( 5.11 %)
Open High Low Volume
$2.14 $2.16 $2.04 95160
Last updated 15.59pm 16/04/2024 ?
DVP (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.