Fruit & Vege Garden

1. 59,141 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 727
    Looked for a thread on the subject but no so thought I'd start one.

Spring coming on so think it's time to plan what to plant, been ages since I have make an effort to grow stuff and now Looking to plant out a fair bit

Had already planted some sets french shallots some time ago on the suggestion they go in on the shortest day of the year, had one sprout and while some I checked had roots growing they had not sprouted. Then the weekend before last I see two more starting to sprout, as a bit of an experiment I put in a few more sets and to my surprise a few of them have already sprouted. Will see which ones do better but I am thinking late July early August will be the best time to put these in next year.

Garlic I planted at the same time as the french shallotts sprouted soon after and are looking good

Brought punnets of straw berry plants and planted them about 6 weeks ago, it's only now that I am seeing some growth but looks like it will be some time before I am eating Strawberry's

Two passion fruit vines, had trouble finding some decent size ones and I gather it will be late next year before I get some fruit.

Spent a day looking for fruit trees in particular a mango tree, ended up buying small mango plant which once I put it in the ground look even smaller but I like it as it had had the top nipped and had 3 branches. The spot I planted it in is a little close to the front of the house but I figure it will take a long time to reach a problem size and with some pruning I can manage it.

Decided I wanted a larger mango tree to go smack bang in the middle of the front yard, week before last mum calls to say one of her mango trees is interfering with the sat tv dish. Thought I might try digging it out and transplanting a my place, after a fair bit of digging I realise the tap root must go down a fair way and gave up. So having pruned a fair bit off it I wondered if I could stick some branches in the ground and see how they go, it's been two week and they are looking OK, I don't hold much hope but have nothing to lose.

Planted sweet peas, they are about 10cm and I think I will he having fresh peas in a month or so

My plan to grow greens in the chook run for the chooks has not worked, bit to shady ATM and chooks fly over the barrier to eat the seeds. I have been putting soil in trays, layer of wheat then thin layer of soil. Within a week I have a tray full of wheat grass about 10cm, the chooks love it.

So what are your growing, any tips?

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.