Oh I like the purple (or what ever colour they are) beans, what...

1. 59,234 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 727
    Oh I like the purple (or what ever colour they are) beans, what are they ?

LOL most of the time I do multi task with watering, reminds me I need to set the bore/retic controller to start earlier

I'm trialling some drip hose at the front, not working as well as I hope so I have to do some hand watering. I did mulch with some pea hay and it probably helps but the tomatoes,rock melon and water melons are struggling, sandy soil lacking in clay seems to be the problem not only is it not retaining water but also not holding nutrients/fertilizer.

Since I started on this venture I have added heap of mushroom compost, manure and fertilizer which did work but it was short term. More indication lack of clay is the issue. FYI I think soil wetting agents are a waste of money and don't work

I am with you on the drip system for same reasons, though that is an issue with some crops and not others

While kicking back with a Shiraz and herbs the other night I came up with the idea setting up the raised garden bed retic so I could easily swap between a drip and sprinkler system. Thinking crop rotation and with 6 raised garden beds out back so bonus

Now some thing else you may have a opinion on ,lots on YouTube recommend using straw as a mulch in the vege patch. I am nearly convinced but still out on a limb on the different straw/hay options

Now the other issue I am considering. do I lay the drip hose on top of the soil below the straw/hay or do I lay it on top of the hay ? I see benefits in both

LOL I notice the nice green lawn in your pic, how and why do you manage that ?

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.