RHC 0.28% $46.42 ramsay health care limited

As a long term buy and hold investor I can image it would be...

1. 418 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 138
    As a long term buy and hold investor I can image it would be frustrating if you expect every year to be good.
    In my mind your investment horizon should be 5-10 years or longer if you claim to be a long term investor.
    In that 5-10 years there will be negative years and some bumper years, if you look too closely you are not really a long term investor are you??

Case and point.
    Look at the MSCI World index over the last few decades.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MSCI_World
    An average annual return of 11.27% since 1970... but some years like 2008 was -40%... ouch...
    On a $1000 investment in 1970 you would have had a compounded annual return of 9.97% to end with a value of $87,159 today. An increase of 8,715%.

Arguably one of the worst years to have entered would have been 2007.
    And you would still be up 173% now at $1730..... however in 2008 you would have sulked at your investment being decimated to $596.

I have long term stock I buy and leave alone and when they go down I just leave them alone because I have a long term horizon on them.
    For RHC I was actively "managing" my investment.

Started buying in March 2017 and by June 2017 reached my peak amount of capital allocated to RHC @ $66.38 per share.
    I currently hold about 11% of the total of RHC shares I bought since March.
    I only recently entered again @ $66.095 the other day when the markets was crashing.

It will be hard to calculate the return on a percentage basis since I had various amounts invested over the course of the year and sometimes was not invested at all.
    Some of my RHC trades were at a loss but most were not.

Roughly calculated I had north of 12% return over a 6 months investment period.
    Nothing crazy but I'm quite happy with it!

The other 6 months the capital was either in the investment account or invested in other counters.

What's my point?
    I guess my point is:
    - There was money to be made with RHC over the last year.
    - The share market is not a fixed deposit or a bond!!!
    - Get your head in the right space - is this a long term, medium term or short term play for you?

In terms of sentiment. I have it as a hold now, but I might change my mind and sell for a nice little 3.6% gain over the last 2 week I've been back it.

Ps. this post above is as much for my benefit as hopefully anybody reading it.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add RHC (ASX) to my watchlist
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.