Fuel Reduction

1. 270 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 43
    I have quickly glanced through some of the forums and unable to find many comments in the way of fuel reduction burns to prevent bush fires.
    I wonder why that is when it is the ONLY action we can take to reduce the impact of wildfires

We sometimes read comments from so called experts that fuel reduction won't work or will have limited success.

In WA, fuel reduction burns have been done for decades. Before someone points out that we still have large bush fires, these occur mainly in areas that have not been included in the program.

We still have many people against these burns, some because they dislike smoke over the city or it destroys wildlife. No further comment needed here.

For people interested, I urge you to read articles written by Roger Underwood. In my opinion, Roger and his group would have a greater knowledge of bush fire behavior and fire management than anyone in WA and perhaps Australia.

For anyone against hazard reduction burns, I can assure you, the areas burnt out on the east coast will not see a fire of this magnitude for some years.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.