funny people indonesians, page-29

1. 4,287 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 2
    I don't see any Western nation invading Indonesia, but Grahod had put a hypothetical and I was countering that someone invading Indonesia was more likely than Indonesia invading someone,but if I had to make a call I don't trust the US. They are backing themselves into a corner where thay will have to always be on the offensive.
    Now don't confuse what happened in Dutch West New Guinea and East Timor with Indonesias regional intentions as they were exceptional circumstances due to historical links and in the case of East Timor, security concerns in SE Asia at the time. Remember 1975 was the communist victory in Indochina and the west and its allies, especially strongly anti-communist Indonesia were concerned of further communist expansion in the region. With hindsight we now know that they were as exhausted by the war as we were, but at the time it was feared that they would continue to take the fight further whilst on a winning run and East Timor would have been a prime piece of real estate to set up a base on.
    Grahod, you need to brush up on your history, the Malayan Emergency ran from 1948 until 1960. Our troops were in SE Asia virtually right through, why do you think we had bases in Malaya until after Vietnam, not to mention the air base at Butterworth. Granted a lot of our involvement was kept secret, I believe a lot of what happened during confrontation was only made public in 1996 under the 30 year rule. But there were Aussies and Brits living there at the time who knew exactly what was going on even though all the troops involved had been sworn to secrecy virtually forever.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.