NEU 2.71% $19.70 neuren pharmaceuticals limited

Future of pharma in neuro

1. 1,505 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 1868
    I've borrowed from the article Is there a future for pharma in neuro? published this week in FierceBiotech. The question at first glance appears ludicrous - why wouldn't there be a future in an area of high unmet need with an growing range of CNS disorders including Alzheimers and Parkinsons, not to mention the incidence of concussion, TBI and neuo-developmental disorders. Well, the author goes on to point out that big pharma are in a decade long retreat from neuroscience R&D and that the retreat continued apace in 2019.

The author further points out that the process of disengagement with neuroscience R&D will only reverse if Big Pharma see evidence that the high failure rates are a thing of the past.

Acadia have seen the future.

Lets go back to Trofinetide and the promise of a drug which exerts diverse effects on multiple problems. Most drugs focus on one target but Trofinetide tackles the common pathological features of many CNS disorders: inflammation, abnormal microglial function, synaptic dysfunction and reduced levels of IGF-1. In this case I've borrowed from the video introduction to Trofinetide from the NEU website.

Acadia have presumably seen the promise of Trofinetide in its ability to address the underlying pathological conditions of CNS disorders which could result in improvement in a wide range of symptoms extending beyond Retts e.g. inflammation is an underlying and chronic symptom in Alzheimers, Parkinsons and even dementia. The Lavender Phase 3 trial in Rett syndrome could be a window into the future of neuroscience R&D. I am not suggesting for a moment that Trofinetide will be a cure for Alzheimers but combination therapy could change the dynamics for a successful treatment in the same way that checkpoint inhibitors have revolutionised immuno oncology.

Investors in NEU are on the edge of a pivotal moment in neuroscience; dare to use the word breakthrough or paradigm shift. Even as we spill ink, girls with the debilitating disease Retts are being treated with Trofinetide which could change their lives and the future direction of Big Pharma.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add NEU (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
$19.70
Change
0.520(2.71%)
Mkt cap ! $2.515B
Open High Low Value Volume
$19.39 $19.84 $19.28 $5.675M 288.6K

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
3 1531 $19.66

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
$19.81 557 1
View Market Depth
Last trade - 16.10pm 03/05/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
Last
$19.70
  Change
0.520 ( 2.59 %)
Open High Low Volume
$19.50 $19.84 $19.28 87628
Last updated 15.59pm 03/05/2024 ?
NEU (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.