GOLD 0.51% $1,391.7 gold futures

I agree --and as such , its worth remembering Pareto's Rule ,...

1. 1,396 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 1035
    I agree --and as such , its worth remembering Pareto's Rule , which broadly says , in anything 20% is vital , 80% is trivial .
    My "20 %" for the day came from posts to Kitco and Gold Eagle :
    Kitco -
    This is from last night's, Richard Russell's Dow Theory Letter:

January 5, 2005 -- Gold Technicals and the 50 Percent Principle -- I haven't discussed this before, but I think it's time. I'm talking about the 50 percent principle as applied to gold. I liken all major market moves to a giant kid's see-saw. And each end of the see-saw is always moving up or down like a scale or a balance.

Picture a kid is sitting at one end of the see-saw. If he pushes up, the see-saw will rise towards a horizontal position, and then it will either go all the way up -- or it will halt short of the horizontal -- and come down again to the kid's side.

Market's tend to act the same way. Consider this. The 1980 high for gold was about 857. Gold then declined to a low of about 252 in 1999. In other words, gold declined a total distance of 605 points. The halfway of the 50 percent level of the entire decline would be 554.

The 50 percent principle says that gold is still in the lower section of the see-saw in that gold is still below 554. Two phenomenons must now occur. Either gold will fail to rise above 554, in which case it should fall back. Or, gold will rise to -- and then above 554, the halfway mark. If gold can advance above 554 it will be technically ready to make its way back to the high side of the see-saw, which would be 857. If gold can make it to 857, the odds are that it will go considerably higher.

What are the chances that gold can make it over the 50 percent level or over 554? I think the chances are good. I say this because I'm convinced that gold is in a primary bull market, and I don't see any indications that the bull market is over. Below we see a point&figure chart of gold. Note that despite the periodic corrections, gold had moved relentlessly higher. The current upside "count" for gold is 712. If the count works out, that would obviously take gold bullishly above the halfway mark of the entire 1980 to 1999 bear market .

And from Gold Eagle -Enrico Orlandini ( Lasco Report)

For the Commodities Bulls , this para caught my eye:
    "Gold aside ( and Orlandini is a gold bull )the copper and oil charts are impressive, especially when you consider the fact that they are used in just about everything. In particular, copper has the nickname "Doctor Copper" for that very reason. The rise in copper prices has been quite relentless and for months now has defied all attempts to call a top. Anyone who has attempted to short copper is much wiser for the experience. Finally, note that gold and copper are quite overbought and have stayed that way for some time now. That's a characteristic of real strength in a true Bull Market, i.e., the ability to stay overbought for a long, long time."
    For those who are commodities bulls , here's the link to the entire article

http://www.gold-eagle.com/editorials_05/orlandini010506.html
    cheers
    Maplelegion

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add GOLD (COMEX) to my watchlist

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.