AGS 0.00% 17.5¢ alliance resources limited

garret dont play games with heathgate

1. 4,040 Posts.
    Garrett delays verdict on uranium mine

FEDERAL Environment Minister Peter Garrett has delayed his first decision on the expansion of a uranium mine, pushing back approval of the proposed expansion of the Beverley uranium mine in South Australia.

The decision was due yesterday, after being extended in June for a period of 40 business days, but a spokesman for the minister confirmed it had been pushed back to August 29.

"The Government does not anticipate any further delays," the spokesman said.

He said the extension was to allow further discussions with Beverley owners Heathgate Resources and consideration of documentation "to ensure that the minister is fully appraised before making his decision".

A spokeswoman for Heathgate Resources, an affiliate of US company General Atomics, declined to comment yesterday.

Mr Garrett has been campaigning against uranium mining since the 1970s, and last year opposed the Labor Party's decision to overturn its three-mine policy. "I won't be supporting any proposals to expand uranium mining in Australia," he said after the ALP conference last year.

Beverley, 600km north of Adelaide, is Australia's third uranium mine and the only operating in situ leach mine, producing 1000 tonnes of uranium each year.

In Heathgate's submission for the proposed expansion, the company says it is not seeking to increase production above the 1500 tonnes limit it currently has approval for.

The Beverley expansion is the first in a queue of uranium mine applications working their way through state and federal processes towards Mr Garrett.

The proposed expansion of BHP Billiton's Olympic Dam has been delayed, with an environmental impact statement now expected early next year.
    Grrrrrrrrr .... Isn't Uranium an integral part of reducing World Carbon Emissions !!!!!

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add AGS (ASX) to my watchlist

Currently unlisted public company.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.