Firstly, let me say that I am not opposed to a same sex union...

1. 2,788 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 44
    Firstly, let me say that I am not opposed to a same sex union being admitted to our legal and language system. However I am opposed to another word being hijacked from our language and its use being redefined or limited. We can no longer say that we feel gay, without a sexual connotation; even the dictionary has gay as homosexual first and merry second. If same sex unions are to be also called marriage then I will no longer be able to say that I am married as will many others. On forms that I have to fill in, I will be obliged to deny that I am married as the meaning has changed. Surely it is not beyond the imagination of mankind [is that word allowed!!]
    to create another word to describe the union between 2 people of the same sex. What a wonderful opportunity to those in this predicament, to have their very own word, rather than one borrowed or hijacked. As it is an old French word perhaps they should decide. Looking forward to a broad range of replies to my quandary and maybe some new word suggestions.
  2. This thread is closed.

You may not reply to this discussion at this time.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.