I lived in Africa recently and had an illuminating discussion...

1. 927 Posts.
    I lived in Africa recently and had an illuminating discussion with an African colleague.

He pointed out that certain unpleasant aspects of African culture - the occasional mob behaviour, rap music, baggy pants, gangs, gang signs etc. - ARE in fact a genuine part of African culture whether it be in Africa, USA or Europe.

While a gentleman himself, he was matter-of-fact about the above noxious elements. My PC girlfriend was very frustrated and surprised by this admission as it conflicted with her own relativist views.

The important thing is we support people like Mr. Nutter who is making a public stand for change against these unpleasant reflections on a cultural group - and we focus our efforts on condemning the real culprit - not people of African descent - but a peculiarly African gang culture with its own dress code, music and language - that is mysoginist and hostile towards todays liberal societies and has been able to flourish in a society which views it as somehow a legitimate cultural expression.

If you leave such things to fester you get the well documented spate of attacks in USA and also the looting in London. And thats bad for the community and the perpetrators.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.