GLN 7.14% 13.0¢ galan lithium limited

General Discussion Banter GLN, page-12065

1. 847 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 2990
    A question came up the other day about risk of our brine resource dissappearing as our neighbours start to pump from their wells and there was a concern ours being at the margin of the salar , we might see some of our resource dissappearing. Previous reading I have done on this topic some years back led me to conclude it was a non-risk.

However in reading some Galaxy annoucements on Sal de Vida to answer spsampah's question on drainable porosity , I came across this section of text which is very relevant to that concern/risk posted by Mondy here on this forum on Sunday. This comes from page 24 of the April 4 2022 ASX/TSX release by Galaxy. I will cut and paste the entire section ;

Where previous methods were used to estimate the total amount of brine, and therefore lithium in
    storage that could be theoretically drained in the entire mining concession, the method used for
    reserve estimation is completely different and focuses on the potential for retrieval of lithium via
    wellfield pumping in selected areas where pumping at relatively large abstraction rates have been
    demonstrated. As the brine is a mobile fluid, it is necessary to use a calibrated numerical groundwater
    flow model, respective of fluid density, to project future wellfield production and projected future
    brine grade.

Due to various levels of uncertainty in conceptualizing any hydrogeological system, all groundwater
    flow models necessarily incorporate inherent uncertainty. To lessen the effects of uncertainty, good
    model calibration to observed field conditions is essential for judging confidence in model projections.
    However, even with reasonable short-term model calibration to 30-day, hydraulic testing of the brine
    aquifer that was conducted in late 2012 and in 2020, long-term model projections are less certain
    because of outstanding variables.

These variables include locations of aquifer boundaries, lateral continuity of key aquifer zones, presence
    of fresh and brackish water that have the potential to dilute the brine in the wellfield area, and the uniformity of
    aquifer parameters within specific aquifer units.

Although the numerical model was constructed to be reasonably conservative when data are scarce
    or assumed (i.e., law of parsimony), there is always a level of uncertainty associated with projections
    of long-term outcomes. Therefore, it is appropriate to categorize the pumping from the first six years
    of pumping at each wellfield as a Proven Brine Reserve. Although projections of long-term pumping
    past the first six years from the wellfields are less certain. There is a reasonable understanding of the
    hydrogeological system that over the long-term the projected pumped brine can be categorized as a
    Probable Brine Reserve for the remaining 34 years of pumping at each wellfield.

It is standard in the industry to recalibrate and update numerical groundwater models after start-up
    and during operation of the production wellfields. As the wellfields are pumped, long-term data for
    pumping rates, water levels, and brine chemistry are generated; calibration to these new data will
    improve the reliability and predictive capabilities of the model. Future probable reserve estimates
    may also be modified based on production pumping results, and projections from the recalibrated
    model may result in confidence category upgrades of Probable Brine Reserves to Proven Brine
    Reserves.

So the brine moving to some degree is actually possible and this does add to uncertainty in the calculations. Though the uncertainty seems more associated with the outer years of the mine life . This is likely to lead to more of the M&I resource being categorized as "probable" not "proven" in the upcoming dfs. On the positive side , from reading the above a proper reserve calculation definitely will/does discount the number to some extent for this risk. Given this I am revising my estimate of the likely reserve back to something closer to 1.50-1.70 Mt range, not the 2.0 + Mt I was previously predicting which was working on a 40 % evaporation loss from the declared M&I resource.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add GLN (ASX) to my watchlist
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.