SYA 0.00% 3.7¢ sayona mining limited

A couple of points of clarification which may explain in part...

1. 3,463 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 3013
    A couple of points of clarification which may explain in part why the market doesn't seem to share your optimism.

20.5kt was shipped in the Septmeber Quarter. The next 30kt is slated for PLL. PLL have a right to 56kt this calendar year at a minimum. Your numbers in your post appear to assume that PLL will receive less than their minimum entitlement and that the JV will sell more than 50% of CY23 product outside the offtake.

Your claim SYQ is currently producing at an AISC of US$740t appear to be based on a flawed reading of the presentation. That figure was referring to the DFS steady state projections and I believe is quite unrealistic to be applied at this stage of rampup. I realise the DFS was released after the resumption of operations however I do not believe it will be the first lithium feasibility study to be realistic.

I have not seen any information suggesting that NAL is supposed to produce 60kt in Q2 FY24. I would note that is in excess of the nameplate target.

The price that will be paid by PLL for product is a bit of a mystery still at this point. Obviously it will be shipping to China because there's no viable alternative conversion capacity for that sort of quantity elsewhere. What is tricky is that the price is to be adjusted for grade differential and how shipping costs will be reconciled as the contract was to include delivery to North Carolina. It is unkown if that will further reduce the cost below US$800dmt. I believe it would be a safe assumption that current AISC will exceed what PLL pays and for that to be permanent - especially given the OTA price range is fixed while inflation will persist.

It seems to be a common theme that while China CIF pricing is used as a reference, posters only reduce reported agency pricing for grade, without also taking into account shipping costs.

I get it may be difficult to avoid confusion from presentations given SYA haven't released performance metrics and use DFS figures as a substitute.

Overall I regularly see what appear to be very optimistic revenue and profit assumptions in SYA posts on hotcopper. I totally understand that given the current MC there is a natural tendency to give an upbeat personal assessment when the SP doesn't appear to be in sync with fundamentals, however I think it may be setting up a scenario in which holders are disappointed and blame the board or NAL site operators for falling short of expectations.

NAL is what it is - a difficult operation by peer standards - but a stepping stone to Moblan for SYA and in the medium to long term a solid source of profitability.

It just really does feel like posters are overestimating revenue and underestimating costs.

The market needs to be informed of the actual state of operations at NAL because it appears that right now, it is assuming the worst; that SYA is struggling with a difficult restart of operations. There are also serious questions regarding the status of Authier and whether that will ever feed in to NAL. Losing both CEO and CFO back to back would have been seen as a major red flag to many.

I totally understand that SYA claim NAL is performing inline or better than their expectations, but this needs to actually be demonstrated to the market - much of that cause for concern I suspect is due to the very chequered history of the project and the market being a bit spooked by CXO's experience. There was a missed opportunity to do so in the last quarterly.

The upshot is that in the very near term NAL should become profitable.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add SYA (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
3.7¢
Change
0.000(0.00%)
Mkt cap ! $380.8M
Open High Low Value Volume
0.0¢ 0.0¢ 0.0¢ $0 0

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
1 90231 4.2¢

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
3.5¢ 2044 1
View Market Depth
Last trade - 09.40am 09/05/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
SYA (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.