It appears you are building a straw man argument. Again, I...

1. 37 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 39
    It appears you are building a straw man argument. Again, I recommend looking up "straw man argument" if you are not familiar with the term.

I never said "fire extinguishers", which implies that the 4kg and 9kg extinguishers were what I intended. I suspect you're choosing this vector because it's the low hanging fruit. Just like:

"The point is it all falls back into ice engines aren’t disappearing in 8 years."

This is the sort of statement that allows a person to proclaim that they were right all along, say for example, just because EV uptake "only" reaches 99%; regardless of how insignificant this input was to the overall investment thesis. This is what I said before about your posts being vexatious.

I will not argue that ICEs will be gone, because not only can I see a some argument for their partial coexistence (e.g. classic cars, heavy industry, etc.), but I also believe the net uptake of EVs over the next 10 to 20 years will make the point utterly irrelevant in the context of SRL and other EV thematics. It's so very tiresome hearing you drone on about it as frequently as you do.

I had originally pointed out F-500 extinguishing agent. Just the agent. Not a 4kg, or 9kg extinguisher, if that's the game being played. Thinking your comment about how many could fit on a fire truck might be a question of scalability, I helped show you how F-500 can be scaled to all sorts of firefighting delivery methods. It takes a modicum of imagination to see that this could become the de-facto standard for firefighting, if indeed the problem were ever large enough to warrant such a solution. Your comment, "You do t have to be. Firefighter to realise fire extinguishers won’t work.", though dreadful to parse, is similarly awful for its lack of evidence to support the spurious claim. But that's okay, I've brought receipts:

https://hct-world.com/products/chemical-agents/f-500-encapsulator-agent/unique-applications/
    https://hotcopper.com.au/data/attachments/4527/4527999-6631013177957d0370c72e4f8a300f93.jpg

"Due to F-500 EA’s ability to cool, encapsulate and penetrate, F-500 EA was recommended for hybrid and electric vehicle fires." Emphasis mine. What was your comment again, "Considering it’s buried in the car construction."?

Let's take this a step further. How about one of the primary means to reduce overall risk, stop posting to Hot Copper? No, wait, I mean reducing the likelihood of the risk. That's the one. Rather than focusing on putting out the fire after the fact, which you should probably accept is going to be suitably covered in time with an update to firefighting techniques and technologies, how about working to prevent the fire in the first place? Significant work is being undertaken to better model and mitigate the thermal runway problem with lithium ion batteries.

1. A Review of Lithium-Ion Battery Thermal Runaway Modeling and Diagnosis Approaches (Tran, et al., 2022)
    2. Data-driven early warning strategy for thermal runaway propagation in Lithium-ion battery modules with variable state of charge (Zhang, et al., 2022)
    3. Compressible battery foams to prevent cascading thermal runaway in Li-ion pouch batteries (Yang, et al., 2022)

Those are from this quarter alone; this space is being actively and heavily researched. Now look at that last one. A possible solution to build a flame retardant foam into the battery, that showed "cascading thermal runaway was considerably delayed by polyurethane foams incorporating flame-retardant additives or coatings". It gets better: "Complete prevention of cascading failure was achieved with dense polyurethane foams with multilayered coatings of both fire wall and intumescent materials." Emphasis mine.

If I didn't know any better, I would think that you're treating the SRL forums as a place to poison the well with your political biases. You openly declared having worked in the oil industry for 20 years, and have a running history of posting disinformation with a hard-right leaning agenda. I have no problem with where you worked, and I don't care what you believe as that is your choice, but it's an important assessment to make in order to understand the intent behind your posts and what you're trying to achieve here.

Let's take one last look at the post you made that spurred this new line of discussion:

https://hotcopper.com.au/data/attachments/4528/4528008-16520dc53d9eb03bead4ba2a1b729a64.jpg

Over 3 years old, and look at all the places it's been shared! More specifically, look at all the places it's been shared recently. I believe this "folksy anecdote", however real or manufactured, is part of the disinformation cycle. We are at risk of this becoming the "General Disinformation" thread, if this practice is not called out for what it is.

This will be my last post on the matter with Happy, or indeed any matter, as I do not believe them to be arguing in good faith. Apologies to those that have had to endure these walls of text, but I wanted to provide a meaningfully researched contribution, rather than go for a roll in the mud and draw the tone of the conversation down any further than it already has been elsewhere.

Always DYOR, and GLTAH (even you, Happy)!

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.