PRN 1.07% 94.5¢ perenti limited

General

1. 17,694 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 3693
    https://thewest.com.au/business/min...cut-mine-deaths-with-newtrax-system-c-4851513

Barminco looks to cut mine deaths with Newtrax system

Stuart McKinnonThe West Australian
    Tue, 7 December 2021 3:23PMComments
    Stuart McKinnon

Barminco is trialling a new system that aims to prevent underground mining deaths involving heavy vehicles and pedestrians. Credit: Tony McDonough/Barminco

Perenti Global’s Barminco has teamed up with mine safety company Newtrax to roll-out technology across its Sandvik heavy underground mining fleet aimed at improving safety.

The partnership seeks to reduce the risk of incidents involving heavy underground equipment and pedestrian mine workers which claimed the lives of seven people in WA between 2008 and 2018.

Newtrax’s collision avoidance system works by linking “intelligent” cap lamps (helmet torches) to the warning system inside the cabs of underground heavy vehicles.

The system provides the operator with virtual visibility of any pedestrians in the vicinity of their vehicle, along with an escalated warning system to both the pedestrian and operator as the distance between them reduces.

After the initial warning, the system will automatically reduce the speed of the vehicle and bring it to a controlled stop as it senses the pedestrian in a high-risk zone.
    Newtrax’s collision avoidance system will undergo initial testing next month before being rolled out across Barminco’s 25 underground minesites in seven countries where more than 5600 people work.

Perenti ‘s chief executive Paul Muller said Barminco’s successful use of the technology could ultimately lead to its adoption industry-wide.
    “The exposure of pedestrians to heavy vehicles underground is a significant risk not just for us, but for everyone involved in the underground mining industry,” he said.

“The combination of Newtrax’s technology, our underground operating experience and Sandvik’s role in supplying heavy mining vehicles can put us in a position to offer the entire industry a smart solution to a complex problem.”

Newtrax regional vice president Simon Waghorn said the collaboration with Barminco would provide the partners with real-world experience that would help optimise the system as it develops.
    “Although the Newtrax collision avoidance system is the best available system on the market, many more enhancements are required to accelerate adoption,” he said.

“This partnership with Barminco, a world-class underground hard rock mining contractor, will enable collaborative product development which will result in an even better product for the industry.”

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add PRN (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
94.5¢
Change
0.010(1.07%)
Mkt cap ! $901.2M
Open High Low Value Volume
94.0¢ 95.5¢ 93.0¢ $1.299M 1.378M

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
3 162229 94.0¢

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
95.0¢ 54702 3
View Market Depth
Last trade - 16.10pm 06/05/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
Last
94.8¢
  Change
0.010 ( 1.30 %)
Open High Low Volume
93.5¢ 95.3¢ 93.0¢ 238151
Last updated 15.59pm 06/05/2024 ?
PRN (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.