No opinion,How lucky am I?My old man was a Commo, and wanted to...

1. 2,745 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 91
    No opinion,
    How lucky am I?
    My old man was a Commo, and wanted to take the family to the Soviet Union in the early 1950's.

It was our Mother's adamant refusal that largely prevented it.
    When I was 14, in 1956 I remember Dad telling me that he had just resigned from the Communist Party.

I was devastated,I had no idea he was a Commo,remember this was not long after the MCcarthy witch hunts in the USA.there could have been nothing worse.

Round about then,the scales had begun to fall from the eyes of Australian Communists, and "Uncle Joe" was beginning to be seen by these idealists for the monster he was.

The politicisation of my father had its origins in rural poverty,and carrying a swag in the depression,who could blame him?.He wasn't jewish,but the grandson of an "Irish Mick",however he had one or two Jewish Communist friends.
    I am politically left,and don't align with any "ism",my spiritual inner life is more important to me than politics,but I'm still a political animal

My introduction to religion and god was via the Holy Roman Church, rosaries every night,getting bitten to death by mosquitoes,no meat on friday,and no breakfast before Mass on Sunday.
    Mum and Dad had to comply with my bigoted Grandparents,the church got short shrift once out of their influence.

I was intellectually an Athiest / Humanist in my teens and early 20's.
    My spirituality developed upon recovery from alcoholism,which is a story for another day.

However I am no 'Bleeding Deacon' or 'God Botherer'.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.