geology jobs, page-16

1. 1,103 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 14
    Yurt, do what i did, do work experience/volunteer or labouring at a local mine over summer holidays, get some contacts start talking to the right people.

I agree with you Crimson: money instead of job satisfaction. Too many people in industries just for money, that’s half the problem.
    Unfortunately in Australia in many mining areas we reward people for the industry they are in, not their experience, skills and knowledge in relation to the industry as well.
    And the culture in some areas is disgusting, kids born into to it and expect money because mum and dad work in the industry and get them a job.

I don’t want to start a FIFO v local work, mining v civils argument, it’s a double edge sword, each tho their own, people make the decision where they work, no one is forcing their hand.
    And there are people who work bloody hard and earn it in every industry.

As far as Geo work, if your expectations are not the world and you have the right attitude you will find something. I work in the industry and have seen too many grad. tech people come into the industry thinking they are top shot and think they will walk into a job on big coin, but they have to earn the respect of people around them and gain industry experience and knowledge. Do your time at the bottom in the field and in a few years you may progress to a leadership role after showing commitment and interest. You may have to sacrifice and live in a dust bowl for a year but long term you will be better off. Do a first aid course, ewp, dog, riggers, confined space, its a step ahead of others and investment in your future.
    As well, 50k a year first year out, that’s still $800 a week for a 20’s something yr old to live on, it’s not hard.

When looking for work, go and apply in person and present and sell yourself, employers look to favour local people they have met instead of a resume sent through over the web from 3000km away from an anonymous person. MO&G is still strong and experienced, educated people are still sought after. Anyone can drive a dump truck, there are 000’s of them in oz, but having a trade or degree with experience is still sought after. You could look into more project management and contract work down the track with experience

If you can afford it, drive to mining areas like hunter, bowen basin for coal/gas, Darwin has onshore gas exploration at the moment being set up and are looking for geotechs, w.a and s.a throughout it. Research who are the contractors for BHP, RIO etc... plenty of mid tier companies as well. Most companies head office are in capital cities so approach them also agencies will try to reverse market tech guys to said companies. Bombard these companies, don’t expect to drop a resume in there once and get a job. Go in there weekly, call them weekly remind them you are looking for work. Google who the HR people are, call them, call them, call them.

Really if your want to work in Australia you can get a job, you got to be prepared to work and make a few sacrifices though. Its better to have some income than none. You might have to start and the bottom, but get involved with a good company and they will see your worth and you will progress.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.